Home » The Compostion in Two Genres

The Compostion in Two Genres

Kevin Barriga

Professor Nancy Carlson Cargain

Freshman Composition 11000

December 10, 2019

The Gaming High

To think that a game can create such hype

More than a person getting a tinder date from a swipe

The sweatys and tryhards in the room

Only to just embrace your doom

It’s just a game, you’re such a child.

Playing these games will make you wild

The troubling actions these gamers commit

Some of these are like this

My fingers are not even tired

I might have missed school

As for my job, consider me fired

These graphics are just too cool

The concepts of reality are shifting

Playing these games are taking control of me

Wait… I feel like I’m powerlifting

Wait nevermind it’s just beans

Maybe I am being hard on this community

After all they are genuinely nice people

Sure there are some that give me pity

But others soar like a bald eagle

Maybe I should give it a shot

One game can’t really change my thoughts

I ain’t no robot

But then again it’s like gambling with a slot

League of legends, a free to play game

Huh probably lame, but worth a try

Ten years later, actually trash at this…what a shame

Team can’t even play right and makes me cry

This is my life now a esports member with fame

After looking back at it this is worth it

Games should be the things to blame

But rather my rage from my team might make me quit

Potential Genres Proposal

The potential genres that I wanted to use for my Two Genres project were either a Poem/Comedy or a Song lyrics/Chain of events. The reason these two ideas interested me when coming up with my topic was that they both sounded fun to do and not only that but fit with my topic as well. The topic I was gonna use with my genre is Gaming and the effects of it the reason is this is a topic I am very familiar with and I have a pretty good idea on how to approach it. If I were to do the topic on Gaming and the effects of it I would need to have something to grab the audience with something unique and/or funny. After a while of thinking about my genre, I am gonna use the Poem/Comedy one due to the fact that I love the introduction with gaming and a comedic story. Whereas the Song lyrics/Chain of events sounds rather difficult to produce due to the number of lines that need to flow and rhythm. Although, making a song sound good especially when you link it with gaming it doesn’t compare to getting a laugh out of the audience with some funny remarks of poetry. So, in the end, I decided to go with Poem/Comedy is quite easy to do for this topic as well as provide some good storytelling to bring in the audience to read more of it.

Audience Strategy

The different ways I would be able to communicate with my audience through my poetic comedy is by establishing a media ground for people to view it and have a bit of a laugh while understanding what gaming can do to you. In the process of this, I have to find a place where a lot of people are willing to look at my work and what it stands for. That’s why I would have to turn to either a blog page filled with comedy poetry for people to check out and explore or make my own blog post of my poem. Although, there are some problems with doing this method of communicating with the audience such as the limited age group of young adults to teenagers and If the group of individuals is into gaming or against it. The way I will bring in the audience, in the beginning, is by having a very interesting topic that would be hard for them to resist. The topic I thought would fit best would be the Gaming High questioning of the meaning of high mixed with the art of gaming. However, I will be more focused on the bad of gaming of the effects of it till I reach the very end where I make a twist. This will have the writing very unique and interesting for the reader to go through and probably allows the media to spread amongst a lot of people.

Reflection on Your Composition

The composition was not difficult to come up with and to be honest, it was rather fun with the ideas that I had used for the project. Although the composition wasn’t very difficult it had its fair share of moments where it was hard to grasp the ideas of not only the genre but also the audience and topic. Some of the problems that I had to overcome in my writing based on the audience are what barriers in communicating to my audience(s) did you encounter? How did I overcome these barriers? These were a hard approach to start off my project, however, it is not impossible; I had to figure out who am I targeting with my topic which was the effects of gaming and who would be the type to enjoy this. I figured out that the group of individuals that like the topic of gaming are teens to young adults and would produce a lot of controversies if I show my writing to not only the people that like games, but also hate it. This provides a crack in the communication barrier allowing people to get a laugh from both ends as well as posting it on a blog page so it can be easily accessible. When going through the process of the research paper I had to get a lot of information from not just the internet but a lot of source material online which took me a while to collect. Even so after I have collected all the information it made it a bit easier. The difference with my composition project is that there is not that much research behind my work and rather try to find a way to get the reader invested in the writing. I even used rhetorical practices such as style and arrangement to better my writing and bring the whole poem together which is pretty useful.